30 Sept 2026

Sarmatian Medium Cavalry Bowmen

 The FiB Sarmatian-fest continues with some "Medium" cavalry - aka "unarmoured", "standard", "generic" or whatever. I'm not even sure which packs they came from, but anyways, they are mostly armed with short spears held in their hands, no shield, and a bowcase and bow on their hips. 


I'm not sure if this is a muted pallette or a bold one- there's quite a lot of GW Contrast Militarum Green in there, but also some pale blue "Frostheart" and the odd bit of normal painting going on as well. 

I have - like the Skythian Nobles - also added some "spots within spots" to make them look a little more, erm Skythian. 

Here you can start to see the bowcases - I have a good number of unarmoured cavalry firing bows, and two of them have made it into this set of 4 bases, but I prefer to use them on Light Horse bases if I can, so I didn't quite have enough to include one shooter per base in this lot.


Unusually I have gone for a pretty random mix of hair colours too - I always suspect there is a "right" mix of colouurs to aim for given the origins of troops like these, but that is probably "mostly black", which is a tad dull - and with many of these castings having bowl-style haircuts it can soon look like  The Beatles are riding into battle - which is not a great look TBH. 


They are now ready to go and confuse my enemies who will no doubt think they are armed with "light spear" instead of bows! 



No comments:

The Madaxeman Podcast

The Madaxeman Podcast
Listen now on Podbean

Past Updates

Popular Posts