25 Jan 2021

10mm WW2 - the refurbishment project begins

Almost exactly a year ago, at the PAW show in Plymouth I picked up a handful of 10mm WW2 AFV's from a company I'd not seen before - Red 3 Miniatures - kicking off a long-thought-about plan to replace my eclectic and randomly painted collection of WW2 10mm stuff for BKC. 

A year later, some more purchases from a variety of companies and some eBay sales to clear out the old stuff and the new toys are finally starting to make it onto the table, and also to appear in the rather neglected 10mm Photo Gallery on Madaxeman.com as well. 

Here's a Red 3 Hanomag - a really crisp casting with well designed separate crew who are cast in 2 strips and just slot into the back of the cab. The gunner is cast as a 3rd drop-in piece tother with his gun and mantlet making this a very robust bit of kit


Top down view

I now have a half-dozen of these, and some Engineering variants are no doubt going to be ordered soon too - but I'm waiting to see if any more variants get released so I can put in a bigger order. 


The numbers are from Pendraken. I know they may well not make sense as s system, but they are all different and they look cool to me so that's basically OK I reckon! 


250's for Recce, one is a 250/11 with 28mm gun, but could easily be the 250/9 with 37mm I think. 

The crew and gun drops in as one pre-cast unit, but I've added an extra perching Arrowhead Minis tank rider crewman for more variety 


This is an old Pendraken StuG, originally an infantry support version with a short barrel gun but I managed to mislay the barrel when I stripped the old model down for a repaint so ended up adding in a rather large Arrowhead Minis long barrel gun, as their StuG's come with two barrels with different mantlets. 
The guys on the back are Arrowhead tank riders. Huge variety, really detailed castings


Here you can see the variety of poses and weapons. 


Butlers Printed Models resin print Opel Blitz. 


Opel Blitz Command from Red 3, and Butlers standard Opel Blitz

Repainted Takara kit of a Marder. 
StuG and a Takara pre-painted Panther.  I might end up repainting it to better match the cammo on the rest of the force, but it's pleasingly close to what I've managed to do myself. 


There will be more of these to come in the next few months and weeks !



3 comments:

David said...

I dedided that 10mm was the way to myself for all but skirmish 2

David said...

Sorry posted without meaning to - continuing - 20th century games but lockdown has put a hold on my plans. I must say that yours look very nice indeed

Norm said...

Lovely models and painting. Coincidently I discovered Red 3 yesterday when reading the latest Wargames, soldiers and Strategy magazine, as their New Products page highlights rather smartly done Chieftan and T-62.

Share this page with

Search Madaxeman

The Madaxeman Podcast

The Madaxeman Podcast
Listen now on Podbean

Past Updates

Popular Posts